Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: good books to read

  1. #31
    Inactive Member Ellerfru's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Currently I'm re-reading my Jeff Noon-books for the 1000th time... They're really great...

    Oh, and I really like Terry Pratchett's books!

  2. #32
    Inactive Member Lamasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2003
    Posts
    85
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am a big Neil Gaiman, Poppy Z. Brite and Roger Zelazny fan. because , I guess I am a twisted incividual who like the macabre, the wiered and the down right sureal.... that and if it combine boys love and blood - it works for me...

    I am sure a shrink can have a field day on me [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  3. #33
    Inactive Member Cheshirecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2003
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Guess I'm not the only one reading Anne Rice right now. I like the first two novels of the Vampire Chronicle better. The next two aren't so bad. But I can't stand the fifth one, "Memnoch the Devil". "The Vampire Armand" is just really mess up, though I kind of like Armand, for all his cynicism.

    Have read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and fallen in love with it. Also read "Salome", and like it quite a lot for its perversity. Anyone read the fairy tales Oscar Wilde wrote? So hopelessly beautiful, I especially like "The Happy Prince" and "The Nightingale and the Rose".

    H.P. Lovecraft is good if you want to read something weird and obscure.

    As for mystery, since I'm a big mystery fan, Ellery Queen's "The Tragedy of Y" is a good one about a decidedly abnormal family. S.S. Van Dine's "The Bishop Murder Mystery" is great for those who are into nursery rhyme/Mother Goose (perhaps Count Cain fans will be interested?).

  4. #34
    Inactive Member rogue_815's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2003
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lately I've been reading a lot of Kurt Vonnegut, he writes really hillarious satire. I used to read Anne McCaffrey; other than that, mostly what everyone else here reads [img]smile.gif[/img]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member SnowFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2003
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love most of what's already been named [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm also a big Stephen King and Anne Bishop fan. Just to name others that have already been named: Mercedes Lackey, Edgar Allan Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Eoin Colfer, Anne Rice, blah blah blah. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] It appears that most of us do share similar reading tastes. I compliment you guys on your good reads XD

  6. #36
    Inactive Member tenshimeansangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I must have died and gone to heaven or Hell or wherever people like me go *-*

    I am almost in love with Anne Rice and her characters! Brian Jacques is so good I got my youngest brother hooked on him.

    then I saw forgotten Realms stuff, which I adore! I read Harry Potter before it became main-steram and J.K. Rowling became more obsessed with the media instead of her books ;_; and HP could have been great

    I read LotR long before I'd ever heard of it becomming a movie

    I saw Mercades Lackey and Robert Jordan whom I read almost obsessively. Then Madeline L'engle and Orson Scott Card. No need to say anything about them. *-*

    And various other things that I adore -copies down titles/authors that she hasn't read yet- -cries with joy-

  7. #37
    Inactive Member Verykawaiineko's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2003
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    YAYYYYYYYY neko finally found people who reads books that are good..instead of "popular" im currently addicted to Anne Rice..lol VAMPIRES ARE COOL..anyway i also love Artemis Fowl even though yeah..im a little too old for it..but Artemis is a evil genius after my own heart..Also the best book ive ever read was Memoirs of A Geisha by A. Golden good stuff...but this was BEFORE my fanfiction addiction...my current reads are mostly just yaoi smut and a weird obsession with Austrian history..i blame ludwig for this...but there is one thing im *trying* tor ead and thats the gravi Novel..i really suck at reading hirigana..and katakana... [img]frown.gif[/img]

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ December 31, 2003 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Verykawaiineko ]</font>

  8. #38
    Inactive Member
    good books to read


    Terra--kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2003
    Posts
    95
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm a big fan of books I have a large collection that I finally got to move up to my home here near my university. Well lessee Authors that I like:

    Mercedes Lackey
    Margaret Weis
    Anne Rice
    Christopher Rice (Anne Rice's sone, he rights Yaoi fiction. Read a A Density of Souls! I command you!)
    Marion Zimmer Bradly
    Ed Greenwood
    Anne McCaffrey
    David Eddings
    Jane Yolen
    Diana Wynne Jones

    Now books that I like? Well I have almost all of the Animorphs Series. I'm Only missing the Ellimist Chronicles. I also like Tamora Pierce's "Song of the Lioness" quartet, I haven't read much else of hers though. I also like Harry Potter.

    If you like a morbid/sexual and engaging book series. Read The Datk Jewels Trilogy by Anee Bishop. It's AWESOME! I read it, then later I watched Ai no Kusabi and I was like "Hey... a dick ring that means a man is owned... heh, that's like Dark Jewels." ^_^ A density of Souls is also an awesome morbid story. It's a murder mystery that revolves around the fact that this one boy is gay and what happens as he drifts away from his best friends because of it. It's AWESOME! I couldn't put it down abd read it straight for 10 hours.

    I've always been a major book reader and never much liked comic books. Then I discovered Manga and Onlne manga and was like "Whoa... This ain't no comic book ^_^" I like story and characters. Which is why I love books... I've read so much that I don't think I could list everything I've ever liked or read...

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ January 02, 2004 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Terra--kun ]</font>

  9. #39
    Inactive Member Tsubaki-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2004
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Most of my favorite authors have already been mentioned.

    I just read one of Gaiman's books last night, Stardust. I thought it was original but not one of the best books I've read by any stretch. I've heard a lot of his other books are better. I think I'll read Good Omens next since I've been recomended to it only about 7 times this month by differant people. ^^

    My favorite author is Douglas Adams by far. His books are incredibly funny and very clever. I'd say his books have completely changed my life.

    Another of my favorite books series is A Series of Unfortunate Events. Barnes and Noble puts them in the childrens section but I really like them. The more you read of them the more it forms a mystery. You keep developing questions, then the next book answers your questions but you realize the questions you were thinking of wern't really the important questions and now you have a whole new set of questions...and so on. They're really fun to read and try and figure out what's going on.

    -Tsu-chan

  10. #40
    Inactive Member butabara's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Before Yule, I stumbled over a couple of Amazon-lists with recommendations of boys'-love/yaoi/slash etc. fiction. I was like: "Whoa. They exist outside of Japan?" I got cracking and dropped by the SFbok webble-site to check out Ellen Kushner's "Swordspoint".

    It had been mentioned on every single list I checked: everyone adored it - I decided I'd trust their judgement. The shop had it in stock! Two days later, when me and Mom went X-mas shopping, it wasn't available. (Murphy's Law, no surprises there.) BUT! then I accidentally stumbled upon "The Fall of the Kings", the sequel. I settled for it instead.

    I've read more than half of it (I haven't been reading much in the past week) and it is the <u>best</u> fantasy book I've read, besides works by Pterry and Gaiman. I am addicted to the writing style. It has Action! Romance! Adventure! and more boy-on-boy lovin' than you can shake a phallic object at. Go get 'em!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •